About the Repository
- The research repository initiative began with the installation of VITAL, a digital asset management product from Visionary Technology in Library Solutions (VTLS).
- Repository development is accomplished by two full–time employees and one full–time database and application support specialist. Digitization, surrogate preparation, and quality control of repository contents is carried out by three full–time employees in the department of Digital Imaging and Archiving. Faculty members whose submitted proposals are accepted for project support, along with their students, provide subject matter expertise and critical metadata.
- The repository is hosted by the Database and Application Administration unit and managed by Document Management Systems in the University’s Information Technology Enterprise Systems group.
- Clicking on a featured collection button on the left will take you to one of the currently active sites in the Discovery Commons repository.
- Sites are generally open for guest use and anyone can freely access the contents, however, certain sites require password login for access.
- Other links and information on this page are provided as resources for members of the Virginia Tech community who are involved in research activities.
Digital Imaging and Archiving Mission
- Provide a comprehensive range of scanning services in support of image archiving, research, and repository development projects.
- Maintain a reliable and increasingly comprehensive digital archive of materials created by the Virginia Tech community.
- Offer assistance with preserving important university records by creating
reliable and accessible electronic representations.